Sweet and Sour Pears
Ingredients and Method
- Place all the ingredients for the syrup in the saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. In the meantime, wash and peel the pears.
- When the sugar dissolves add the pears to the syrup and simmer until they become translucent. It should take about 5-8 minutes, depending on the ripeness of the pears. You want them to soften, but still keep their shape.
- When they become translucent place them in the jar and cover with the syrup. Close the jar.
- If you would like to store these pears for longer you need to pasteurize them by placing the closed jar in a large saucepan and covering it with water up to the jar's neck, then simmering the jar with its contents for about 5-10 min.
- Be careful not to overcook the pears, though, as they will fall apart. To avoid this you can reduce their boiling time in the syrup.