Spiced Blackberry and Apple Butter
Ingredients and Method
- 600g Blackberries
- 750g Sharp cooking apples
- 3-4 Star anise
- 200ml Aspall red wine vinegar
- 5-6 Cloves
- 1 tsp Fennel seed
- 100ml Water
- 400g-500g Granulated sugar
- Big pinch of salt
- Place the blackberries and apples in a large pan - there is no need to peel or core the apples simply remove the stalks and chop into chunks. Add the spices, the vinegar and the water and stir to combine.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a light boil for 30 minutes or so, or until the apples have completely broken down to a soft puree — slow is better here to allow the spices to infuse. Remove from the heat.
- Push the mixture through a sieve — you’ll find the easiest way to do this is with a soup ladle.
- Measure the puree and return to the cleaned out pan adding 200g-250g of sugar for every 500ml fruit pulp, and the salt. Slowly bring to the boil stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then keep at a steady but not to rapid boil for 25-30 minutes until the mixture thickens, looks glossy and begins to splutter — you will need to keep stirring and scraping around the pan towards the end of cooking to prevent it catching. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon immediately into warm, sterilised jars to within 5mm of the brim and seal immediately with twist-on lids.
- Store in a cool, dark, dry place and use within one year. Once opened keep in the fridge.