Spiced Pickled Pears
Ingredients and Method
- 1kg Conference Pears, small and ripe
- 400g Granulated Sugar
- 300ml Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
- 25g Fresh Root Ginger, bruised
- 5cm Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Cloves
- 1 tsp Allspice Berries
- Place all the ingredients apart from the pears and cloves into a pan and cook on a low heat mixing constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once dissolved, bring the contents of the pan to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Whilst simmering, peel the pears with the stalks still on.
- Push 2 cloves into each pear and place into the liquid in the pan. Gently simmer until they are cooked through but not too soft.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the pears from the hot vinegar mix and place them into warmed jars that have been sterilised. For information on how to sterilise Kilner jars check out our how to guides.
- Boil the vinegar syrup for 5 minutes, and then strain the liquid into the jars over the pears.
- Cover with vinegar-proof lids. Store for a month before opening.