Sweet and sticky, this fig chutney is the perfect accompaniment to a festive cheese board. Make into a homely christmas gift by serving in 0.25 litre Kilner® Preserve jars.
Makes 2 x 0.5 Litre Kilner® Preserve Jars.
Ingredients and Method
- 10 Large Figs
- 2 Red Onions, peeled and chopped
- 125ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 100ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 250g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Peel and slice the red onions, remove the stalk from the figs and cut them into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a Kilner® Preserving Pan and add the onion, fry over a medium heat until it has softened and is translucent. Add in the balsamic and red wine vinegars, sugar, mixed spice, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the liquid has reduced to a syrup add in the figs and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place into warm sterilised Kilner® Preserve jars, put on the lids and process the jars in a water bath.