Ingredients and Method
- 500g Strong unbleached white bread flour
- 300g Mature sourdough starter
- 250ml Filtered water
- 2tsp Salt
- Flavourless oil
- Mix the flour, sourdough starter and 250ml / 8.5 fl oz filtered water in a mixing bowl. Add the salt.
- Tip the dough on to a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place the knead dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove for 2 ½ -3 hours.
- Tip the dough onto a work surface and knead briefly to knock out any air bubbles. Shape the dough into a smooth ball and dust it with flour.
- Line a medium-sized bowl with a clean tea towel and flour it really well or use a proving basket.
- Place the dough, seam-side up, into the bowl or proving basket and cover loosely.
- Leave at room temperature until it roughly doubles in size. This can take anywhere from 4-8 hours.
- Place a large baking tray in the oven and heat to 230°C/210°C fan.
- Fill a small roasting tin with a little water and place this in the oven to create steam.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, sprinkle with flour, then carefully tip the dough on to the tray.
- Slash the top of the dough, if you like, then bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.