This bright, vibrant rhubarb relish is easy to make and pairs nicely with sharp cheeses or use as a condiment at a summer BBQ. Recipe by Aspall.
Makes 3 x 260ml jars.
Ingredients and Method
- 1kg Rhubarb
- 150g Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Fine sea salt
- 250ml Aspall's Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Unwaxed orange
- 5 Star anise
- 2.5cm Piece of root ginger
- 5 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp Yellow mustard seeds
- 3 Bay leaves
- Trim the rhubarb and slice it diagonally into approximately 5mm pieces. Place in a roomy bowl, sprinkle over the sugar and salt and give the bowl a good shake to make sure the rhubarb pieces are evenly coated. Set aside for a couple of hours to allow the juices to draw and the sugar to dissolve.
- Put the vinegar, orange rind, spices and bay leaves in a small pan with 50ml water. Bring to simmering point for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse.
- When ready to cook, warm your jars in a very low oven.
- Strain the vinegar into a large pan and place over medium heat. Add the rhubarb and the sugar syrup making sure you scrape all the sugary bits from the bottom of the bowl. Bring to simmering point for approximately 3-4 minutes or until the rhubarb is just tender but still holds its shape.
- Remove the pan from the heat and using a slotted spoon, loosely pack the rhubarb pieces into warm sterilised jars. Return the filled jars to the oven to keep warm.