Pickled Red Cabbage
Ingredients and Method
- 3 Medium Sized Red Cabbages
- 2.5 Pints Spiced Pickling Vinegar
- Table Salt
- Wash uncut cabbages in cold water and quarter by cutting down through the stalk end.
- From each quarter, cut out the hard stalk with a slightly diagonal cut.
- Shred each quarter into 5mm pieces.
- As each quarter is shredded, place in a large bowl and generously sprinkle with salt - before next layer of shredded cabbage is added.
- When bowl is full - cover with slightly damp tea towel and leave overnight.
- The following day – place shredded Red Cabbage in a colander and thoroughly rinse off salt with cold water.
- Pack washed shredded red cabbage into the Kilner Jars i.e. Put in jars in layers and press down layers with knuckles so as to minimise air spaces – fill to just above the “shoulder” of jar.
- Fill the Kilner Jars to near the brim with pickling vinegar - ensuring all cabbage is beneath surface of vinegar.
- Seal and leave stand for 30 minutes – then re-check vinegar levels and top up – as it takes time for vinegar to percolate into gaps in the packed shredded red cabbage.
- Store in a cool place for two weeks. Then open & enjoy!