Ingredients and Method
- 500g Small Pickling Onions
- 25g Salt
- 600ml Sarsons Malt Pickling Vinegar
- 100g Granulated Sugar
- 10 Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Corriander Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Put the onions in a Kilner® preserving pan and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Leave for 20 seconds then pour into a colander, return to the pan and pour over lots of very cold water. The skins should now peel off easily.
- Once peeled, place into a preserving pan and sprinkle with salt. Cover and leave overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, pour the vinegar and sugar into a preserving pan with the peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and bay leaves. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and set aside overnight to allow the spices to infuse.
- The following day, rinse the onions well and pat dry.
- Pack the onions into sterilised Kilner® jars then use a jug to pour over the vinegar, including the mustard seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves, completely covering the onions. Ensure you leave 1.5cm/ 1/2 inch headspace.
- Wipe the rim and threads of your Kilner® jar and seal. Process your Kilner® jars.
- Allow to mature for 6 weeks in a cool, dry place.
- If unopened, the processed pickled onions will last 1-2 years if stored in a cool, dry place. Once opened, keep refrigerated and consume within one month