Ingredients and Method
- 1 Large Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Large Onions, peeled, quartered and finely sliced (or use pickling onions)
- 900g Mixed Vegetables such as courgettes, runner beans, carrots and green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
- 60g Sea Salt
- 225g Granulated Sugar
- 900ml Ready-spiced Pickling Vinegar
- 60g English Mustard Powder
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Tumeric
- Put all the vegetables in a large non-metallic bowl.
- Dissolve the salt in 1.2 Litre (2 pints) of water and pour the brine over the vegetables. Put a plate on top of the vegetables to keep them submerged and leave for 24 hours.
- The next day, drain the vegetables in a colander and rinse in cold water.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the vegetables and blanch for about 2 minutes. Do not over cook them as they should be crunchy.
- Drain and refresh in cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Put the flour, sugar, turmeric and mustard powder in a small bowl and mix in a little of the vinegar to make a paste.
- Put it in a large stainless steel saucepan along with the remaining vinegar, bring to the boil and stir continuously so no lumps appear.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the sauce and stir well so they are all coated.
- Ladle into warm sterilised jars with non-metallic or vinegar-proof lids, making sure there are no air gaps, seal and label.
- Store in a cool dark place. Allow the flavours to mature for 1 month and refrigerate after opening.
- Keeps for 6 months if the jar has been processed.