Hearty Onion & Ale Chutney
Ingredients and Method
- 400g Onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 250g Swede, peeled and chopped into 5cm pieces
- 250g Apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 150g Cauliflower, broken into tiny florets
- 300g Demerara Sugar
- 50g Dark Muscavado Sugar
- 150g Tomato Puree
- 100g Stoned Dates, finely chopped
- 250ml Malt or Cider Vinegar
- 500ml Traditional Ale, Bitter or Stout (not lager)
- 2 heaped tbsp English Mustard Powder
- 3 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 heaped tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Mace, ground (add to taste)
- Place every ingredient but the ale into a Kilner® Preserving Pan along with 500ml water; gently simmer on a low heat stirring constantly until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Continue to cook for an hour to let the liquid reduce.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in 250ml of the ale into the pan, then put back onto a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Pour in the remaining ale and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Put the chutney into sterilised jars and ensure there are no air pockets in the mixture then seal with vinegar proof lids. For information on sterilising jam jars and hygiene check out our how to guides.
- Store for 4-6 weeks before opening.