Ingredients and Method
- 7-10 Unwaxed Lemons
- 650g Granulated Sugar
- Scrub the Lemons and pare the zest from four of them.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, drop in the lemons and leave for 1 minute. Lemons are often quite hard and unyielding - this will soften them and they will give more juice when squeezed.
- Lift out the lemons and keep the lemon-infused water to one side.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and measure out 500ml of it.
- Put the sugar, lemon zest and 500ml of lemony water into a saucepan. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar, then bring to the boil
- Add the 500ml lemon juice and bring just to boiling point. Remove from the heat and strain through a sieve into a jug.
- Pour immediately into hot, sterilized Kilner® bottles and seal immediately with the swing top lid
- Leave to cool, then store the squash in a cool, dry place or in the fridge for up to 4 months.
- To serve the squash, mix one part syrup to four parts water.