This delicious chutney is the perfect accompaniment to your Christmas cheese board. It also pairs well with any left over Christmas turkey!
Make a batch now and give it as a gift to lucky family or friends this festive season.
Ingredients and Method
- 900g Tomatoes
- 3 Red Peppers
- 1 Large Aubergine
- 1 Large Courgette
- 700g Onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Large Cloves of Garlic
- 350g Granulated Sugar
- 300ml White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Crushed Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- Peel the tomatoes by pricking them and placing them in a bowl with boiling water. Leave for a few seconds then drain and cover with cold water. The skins will now come away easily.
- Chop the tomatoes and the rest of the vegetables and add to a heavy based pan.
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the onion (you can prepare both of these in a food processer). Add to the pan and gently bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid, lower the heat right down and gently simmer for approximately one hour or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally to avoid the bottom catching.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, salt and spices into the pan and bring back to the boil over a medium heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to cook for 30 minutes or until the mixture achieves a nice chunky chutney texture. The extra watery liquid should have evaporated. Take care towards the end of the cooking time to continue stirring so that the chutney doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan.
- Ladle into warm sterilised Kilner® Jars and seal tightly.