Kefir is a fermented milk drink, created by inoculating milk with special kefir grains. Due to it's great health benefits and sweet taste, it's gained popularity within the natural health community.
Ingredients and Method
- 4 tbsp Kefir Grains
- 1 Litre Whole organic cow’s milk
- Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- 2 tbsp Sweetener (optional)
- Add 4 tbsp of kefir grains to a 1.5 or 2 litre Kilner® Jar with 1 litre of whole organic cow’s milk. Close the lid of the jar and shake.
- Put the jar in the fridge and close the lid leaving to ferment for 4 days.
- Take out of the fridge leaving the lid closed for a further 2 days.
- Once liquid has separated from the kefir grains and yogurt mixture, drain the liquid.
- Once all of the liquid has been drained, using a sieve and bowl to separate the yogurt from the kefir grains.
- Once separate from the yogurt rinse the kefir grains and store for the next batch. These can be used up to 7 times if stored correctly.
- Add in the juice of 1 lemon.
- The yogurt mixture will then taste quite tart, if desired add in 2 tablespoons of sugar, sweetener or even honey.
- Once made, it will keep in the fridge for 7 days.