Making creamy butter at home has never been easier with this simple recipe and a Kilner butter churner. Add salt to preserve your butter or try out one of flavoured butter recipes.
Makes approx 120g / 4oz of fresh butter.
Ingredients and Method
- 300ml Fresh whipping, heavy or double cream
- Pinch of Salt
- Wash your Kilner® Butter Churner in warm soapy water, rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Remove your cream from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for 2 hours. This is important as cream at room temperature churns easier and faster.
- Remove the lid from your butter churner. Pour the cream into the glass base and place the lid on top to create a seal. Turn the handle to start the churning process. You will notice after a couple of minutes your cream will begin to turn foamy. After 5-6 minutes the cream will thicken. After 8-10 minutes the cream will turn very thick – keep turning you are nearly there! After 10-12 minutes you will find the handle is hard to turn and then suddenly it loosens and becomes easier. If you look inside your glass jar you will see that the cream has turned pale yellow and has separated to form butter and buttermilk.
- Remove the lid from the churner and carefully pour the buttermilk into a drinking glass. The buttermilk is similar to skimmed milk; do not throw it away as you can use it for lots of things including homemade scones.
- Pour the butter into a mixing bowl and pour cold water on top. You can add ice to the water to help the rinsing process. With clean hands gently massage the butter and squeeze to remove the butter milk. Repeat this process twice.
- For salted butter, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over your butter and use Kilner® Butter Paddles to mix. Taste your butter to make sure you are happy with the flavouring and then continue to use your butter paddles to mould into a square shape. Butter paddles are excellent for moulding butter and ensuring all of the last drops of buttermilk and squeezed from your homemade butter.
- Once you have moulded your butter into shape, you can cover with waxed paper or store in a Kilner® Glass Butter Dish. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use. Consume within two weeks.