Ginger and Cinnamon Biscuits
Delicious cookies that have a warming hint of spice making them perfect for sharing with friends over a hot cup of coffee on a cold afternoon.
Ingredients and Method
- 350g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 100g Butter
- 175g Dark muscovado sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp Golden syrup
- Mix together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, egg and golden syrup and mix with a spoon until it forms a dough.
- Tip the dough onto a clean, lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes until it is smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180°c / 350°f / Gas Mark 4.
- Roll the dough to 3-5mm thickness on a lightly dusted surface.
- Cut out the cookies using a cutter and place them on a greased or lined baking tray.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approximately 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the biscuits onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Decorate with currents, icing or sweets if required. Store in jars to keep fresh.