Probiotic Beetroot & Red Cabbage Sauerkraut
Ingredients and Method
- Half a Medium Red Cabbage, finely diced
- 1 Medium Beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 inch Ginger Piece, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and sprinkle the salt all over. Use your hands to scrunch the salt into the vegetables and leave for a few hours, mixing occasionally, until the juices collect in the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the mixture into clean glass Kilner® Jars and press down really well. If the juices don’t completely cover the mixture, add more salted water (1 tsp sea salt to 1 cup of water). Make sure you leave around 1.5” headspace between the top of the jar and the liquid.
- Cover with a cabbage leaf and pack it down again. Put the lid on and leave it loosely fastened or if using a clip top, don’t fully fasten the clip.
- Leave out on your worktop for 4 weeks (the longer you leave it the stronger the taste).
- Once you have finished fermenting, seal tightly and keep in the refrigerator until chilled. It’s now ready to eat and will keep in the fridge for months.