It’s strawberry season AND Wimbledon, so naturally we’ve got 30 boxes of strawberries and 15 bottles of Pimm’s. Now you can make a racket about our amazing ‘Soft-Set’ strawberry & Pimm’s jam…which we LOVE. Puns over, we promise.
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz strawberries, hulled and halved if large
- 1kg bag jam sugar (it has added pectin)
- juice 2 lemons
- juice 1 orange
- 3 tbsp Pimm’s No 1
- Put a few saucers into the freezer for later. Put the strawberries into a preserving pan (or your very largest saucepan), then mash roughly with a potato masher, or crush slightly between your fingers and thumbs to make them a little juicy. Stir in the sugar, then put the pan over a very low heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and the berries are surrounded with red syrup. Don’t let it boil. Once the sugar crystals have gone, stir in the lemon and orange juice.
- Turn up the heat. Once the jam reaches a foaming fast boil (this will read 105C on a preserving thermometer), set a timer for 10 mins. After 10 mins, put 1 tsp of jam onto one of the frozen saucers, put into the fridge for 1 min, then push your finger through the jam. If the jam wrinkles, it is ready. If not, boil for another 2 mins and test again. As soon as the jam is ready, remove from the heat. Leave to cool for 30 mins, skim away any scum, then stir in the Pimm’s. Ladle into steralised jars.
- Will keep in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.
admin 5th July 2016
Posted In: Uncategorised