It’s sloe season and this year’s harvest is touted to be a long and fruitful one. We’ve foraged a tonne of juicy berries ready to make some of our festive favourite Sloe Gin…
You’ll need (for 1 litre):
- 700ml of Gin
- 800g of Sloe Berries (roughly 400 berries)
- 280g Granulated Sugar
How to Make:
1. Wash your berries but make sure that they are dried thoroughly.
2. Prick each berry with a sharp tool (suggest a pin or a fork prong). This helps to release the juices and flavours.
3. Add the berries to the Kilner cliptop jar then add the gin and the sugar and store in a dark dry place.
4. Tip the jar upside down and gently shake every couple of days. This allows all of the ingredients to agitate together and enriches the flavour.
5. Leave the mixture for at least 3 months – just in time for Christmas. If you can wait, it will taste even better in February.
6. Strain the liquid using the muslin cloth and decant into the individual sloe gin bottles.
Extra sugar can be added after to taste.
Remember – the longer you leave it – the better it will taste!
You can join Kilner Club for monthly hints, tips and recipes like this one: http://www.kilnerjar.co.uk/kilner-club
admin 30th September 2015
Posted In: Uncategorised