Super tasty spice & spiralized courgetti…yum!
- 3 courgettes
- 2 red onions
- 2 tbsp salt
- A pinch of dried red chilli flakes
For the Brine
- 400ml Sarsons Malt Pickling Vinegar
- 200g white sugar
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds (dry roasted in a frying pan over a medium heat for a few minutes)
1 x 0.5 Litre Round Kilner® Clip Top Jar or Kilner® 0.5 Litre Preserve Jar
- Trim the ends then using a mandolin slicer, slice the courgettes into 5mm thickness. Peel the onions and again using a mandolin slice the red onion into 2mm rings.
- Separate the onion rings and put them into a large bowl along with the courgettes. Sprinkle with salt and mix to coat. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile put the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, mustard seeds and coriander seeds into a Kilner® preserving pan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the brine cool to room temperature. Leave the salt on the courgettes and onions and drain well.
- Fill sterilised Kilner® jars with the courgettes and onions. Pour in the brine ensuring you leave 1.5cm headspace. Tap the jars to remove any trapped air.
- Wipe the rim of your Kilner® jar and seal. Process your Kilner® jars (please visit our section on processing your jars for information). Allow to mature for 4 weeks in a cool and dry place.
admin 25th October 2016
Posted In: Kilner News