When life gives you lemons, make marmalade! A citrus treat to store to use all year, our seasonal lemons make for a spreadable delight!
Storage: up to 2 years
Makes: 5 x 450g jars
- 1kg Lemons
- 75ml leftover lemon juice
- 2kg demerara sugar
- Wash the lemons then half them and juice them and keep the squeezed halves.
- Slice the squeezed lemons into medium to thick pieces and place into a bowl along with the lemon juice and 2.5L water. Leave the mixture to soak for 24 hours.
TIP: This helps release the pectin which helps the solution set.
- Pour the mixture into a Kilner jam pan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 2 hours until the peel is soft and the marmalade has reduced.
- Add in the sugar and lemon juice and mix well to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil for about 20 minutes until setting point has been achieved then remove from the heat.
- Leave the marmalade to cool down for ten minutes then stir slowly to diffuse any foam from the top.
- Pour the marmalade into warm sterilized Kilner jars and store in a cool dark place.
admin 29th January 2016
Posted In: Uncategorised